Together in Dance provides in school residencies in creative movement and musical theater.
Residencies are always accompanied by professional development training, to ensure that teachers have the knowledge and tools needed to extend the work into other areas of the curriculum. We believe it is crucial that the classroom environment and learning day incorporate movement. To this end, as we work with classroom teachers, we help them recognize the importance of how children explore the world kinesthetically.
In order for students to have meaningful arts experiences, the following elements need to be employed throughout a residency.
All participating students in a creative movement residency will:
• Broaden the ways they express themselves
• Collaborate in the dance-making process
• Use the vocabulary of dance and apply it as they create work
• Be able to reflect on their role in relationship to artistic process and product
• Experience the learning process kinesthetically
• Develop a sense of space and move within that space
• Learn cooperatively
• Experience the health benefits of the art form(s)
• Use the artistic process to connect to the world around them
• Value dance in their lives
All students in a musical theater residency will:
• Learn musical theater skills involved in creating a musical theater piece
• Write original musical theater scenes and song lyrics
• Build on prior knowledge or the curriculum to develop material
• Create a finished product for the stage
• Reflect on their process throughout the experience
Work collaboratively with classroom peers to create